Is there a Gout Cure? With that, I urge you to do your own research. You will find plenty of information out there, but some can be inaccurate and misleading. The truth is that there is no cure for gout (I am aware of) except by avoiding certain things we eat (prevention.) What’s worked for me is avoiding Acid forming foods in favor of the Alkaline. If you adopt a whole food plant based diet, this takes most of the guess work out of it because by default you will be eating mostly alkaline food.
This is my own personal gout story. I have experienced my own episodes of Gout and Rheumatoid Arthritis for many years and I don’t want a repeat.
Through my own study, and my own trial and error through many years, I finally learned which diet is healthiest for me. It is a whole food plant based diet. And I know that, as long as I stick with it, I likely won’t have future recurring bouts of Gout and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
As a bonus of changing my diet, I also received additional benefits of better health and weight loss. I don’t have all the mysterious body aches and pains I used to have all the time. I hope for increased longevity, as time will be the only way to tell.
Way too many of us are forced into early retirement because of some illness, ailment or condition. Many spend the last ten to twenty years of their lives in and out of hospitals and doctor’s offices in chronic pain. We don’t want that. I believe a whole food plant based diet can and does work miracles.
Prevailing Scientific Gout Research
Research on Gout is very extensive. I am not a scientist, I am merely a layman sharing his story. The facts on Gout is enough to fill many volumes of books, if not whole libraries.
I have done many hours of study on general health and Gout. Gout is more than PAINFUL! It’s Excruciating! Poor fellow to the left up there in the photo. That has been me many times! Terrible!
Pain is a great motivator to change one’s ways. I limped around for months because of pain in one of my big toes, joints in my feet, and fingers. I had attacks off and on through many years. I thought it was my shoes causing all the pain. I changed work boots and put cushy inserts in them, and it didn’t help until I discovered the cause.
If you have Gout, Rheumatism or Arthritis, (or any other disease, ailment or condition) I believe a marked change in diet is in order. Pills only cover up symptoms, never curing anything. Medications almost always have side effects. It seems the complications of prescription pills can often outweigh benefits.
Here’s what I have learned to avoid eating and drinking…
- Alcohol- Especially grain based like Beer and Whiskey. They are triggers. Maybe, a glass of wine is OK once in a while
- Avoid Grain products in any form because they are acid forming
- Dairy- NO more Milk products like Cheese, Sour Cream, etc. Too much animal fat
- Reduce your intake of all animal flesh, organs and seafood, as they have varying amounts of Purines. A diet rich in purines can raise uric acid levels which can lead to Gout
- Eggs have way too much Cholesterol in the yolk. Maybe, only the whites if you just have to
- Limit Salt. Better yet, eliminate it entirely. But, if you just have to, try Himalayan Pink Salt. Once you try it you’ll never go back to plain old table salt
- Sauces and syrups have way too much salt, oils, and sugar (often Fructose)
- Food in boxes, cans, and bottles have added salt, sugar, and oils. Always read labels for contents. Better to eliminate ALL processed foods from your cupboards. You’d be surprised how much Salt, Sugar, and Oils are in processed food. Know what’s in what you eat. And, if you can’t pronounce an ingredient, don’t buy it
- Fructose or Sugar. They are inflammatory. Go by the USDA guidelines of no more than 6 Teaspoons if you are a Woman and no more than 9 if you are a Guy. But, try to get it all out of your life. You will thank your big toe
- Processed Oils you drizzle on your salad and cook with are inflammatory. Not good for your heart and circulatory system
- No Vitamin and Mineral Pills
- No Coffee or Tea
- No Chocolate
- No Soft drinks
My wife and I rarely eat out and those few times we do we choose things similar to how we eat at home. But, when you dine out, the restaurant tends to add sugar, salt and oil in the food to make it taste better.
Your body’s pH should be between 7-7.5. That’s Alkaline. Food can either eliminate inflammation or accelerate it. So, you basically have to avoid Acid Forming Foods. You can test your pH with strips on your tongue. If you eat only whole raw organic fruits and vegetables there shouldn’t be anything for you to worry about as fat as pH goes. Eating that way tends to bring your pH up to the Alkaline. An acid pH is the perfect place for Cancers to grow and thrive. I would avoid all acid forming foods in favor of the alkaline. Go to List_of_Acid-Alkaline_Forming_Foods_-_NEED_PRINT
*Please note that if you have any condition, disease or ailment be sure to consult your Doctor before you change your diet. Don’t try to cure yourself, as any self diagnosis could be wrong. Leave that to the professionals.