I know homemade dog food is not the main theme of WeightLossBlogging.Com, but I just had to talk about it because I love my dog. Just like humans, canines need to eat what they evolved to eat or they don’t do so well health wise.
Dogs are omnivores, which means they will eat fruits and vegetables mixed in their meat. If you love your dog as much as I do, you will want to do all you can to keep him healthy and happy. If he is not sick, he will be happy and if he isn’t overweight he likely will stay healthy. Just like me, the way I have found to keep his weight down is through diet.
Since Dogs are Omnivorous; in the wild this means they eat what’s available. But, dogs aren’t meant to eat grains like corn, wheat or soy.
I have studied dog food ingredients and I don’t think most manufacturers know which ingredients are good or bad for dogs. They don’t even know that rice and potatoes are grains! Some dog food manufacturers put these as a number two ingredient in their so-called ‘no grain’ dog and cat food.
As well as our human doctors, Veterinarians haven’t been trained in nutrition for their patients…
Here’s what I feed my Dog, Bubba…
- I cook two packages chicken legs (10 lbs.)
- I remove the skin
- Add a 1 lb. package each frozen Kale and Spinach boiled
- Bake about 10 medium size Sweet Potatoes
- Boil 2 bags of Broccoli Slaw
Easy Preparation Directions for Dog Food
- Bake chicken about an hour @ 350
- Bring to a boil frozen vegetables and Broccoli slaw for about ten minutes (do not over cook)
- Cool them under running water in Colander
- Bake Sweet Potatoes until soft (about 1 hour)
- Mash them
- Mix everything together after everything cools
- Scoop it in sandwich sized freezer bags with a plastic measuring cup
- My dog eats three times a day
- Feed according to how large your dog it
- Freeze the bags
- This makes enough for about five days
- Thaw it in water in sink and squeeze half out into their bowl each meal
- I add about a half cup of brown rice to each meal
- I feed my dog 3 times a day which is six to seven cups of homemade dog food (he weighs about 70 lbs. He’s overweight and should weigh about 50 lbs.)
- That’s it! (you will have to scale down even increase the portions you feed depending upon your pet’s breed, weight, age and health
- I only give treats that are all meat and no other additives like wheat, soy and corn
- Get away from store bought kibble and treats unless all the right ingredients are there
Benefits of preparing your own dog food
- Feed your old dog a simpler diet with fewer ingredients and lower protein
- He doesn’t need starch, but I add rice for fiber and bulk
- You know what’s in it when you make it yourself
- It takes about an hour to do each week
- Your pet will thank you by being happier, losing unwanted weight and living longer
The Results speaks for itself
My pet’s health has markedly improved and he’s trimmed down. Although, Chicken was the first ingredient in my dog’s old brand dry kibble; Brown Rice, Barley and Oats were the second, third and fourth ingredient! What!
Why on earth would my dog or any dog need to eat that! It’s filler! Cows, Horses and Pigs eat it. It’s OK for them, but not the best for a dog. You have to diligently read all the ingredients just like you have to for us humans to know what’s in the stuff you are eating. The first five ingredients are the main ingredients. They tell the story. You want meat to be at least the first two or three.
Don’t believe everything you hear about how to feed your dog from manufacturers. They are in the business of selling animal food. Furthermore, don’t feed them raw meat or organs. I think it’s more harmful than it is good for them. Think for yourself, do your own research, and verify everything by how your pet looks, seems to feel and behaves so you know if what you are doing is beneficial…
I know I’ve saved my dog and cat’s life increasing their time here on earth. I can look into their eyes and see new life. They love their food, and I know I have done the best I can to keep my pets healthy lengthening their lives. I really love my animals and need them around me everyday for my own happiness! Go to homemade cat food, here.
Note- Sorry, but I can’t guarantee health, weight loss or longevity results from changing your dog’s diet.