I love my dog like you do, too. So, I decided to write a post about how I make healthy food for him.
Dogs are omnivores. They will eat fruits and vegetables mixed in their meat. If you love your dog as much as I do, you will want to do all you can to keep him healthy and happy.
If he is not sick, he will be happy and if he isn’t overweight he likely will stay healthy. Just like me, the way I have found to keep his weight down and health up is through a low fat diet.
‘I stopped feeding him chicken because I felt it was unhealthy. Did you know that eating chicken is associated with bladder infections in humans? I felt there could be a connection between him eating chicken and his incontinence’ ~ your author
In the wild this means they eat what’s available. But, I don’t believe grains like corn, wheat or soy are a dog’s food.
I have studied dog food ingredients and I don’t think most manufacturers know which ingredients are good or bad for dogs. They don’t even know that rice is a grain! Many dog food manufacturers add rice in their so-called ‘no grain’ dog and cat food.
But, you can look at the ingredients in fresh dog food sold at your local pet store and you will find it’s pretty close to how I cook it. If you are into saving money on making your pet fresh food, make it yourself, otherwise buy it premade at your pet store.
‘As well as our human doctors, Veterinarians haven’t been trained in nutrition for their patients’ ~ your author
Here’s what I feed my Dog ‘Bubba’…
- I cook 1-3 pound package of 85% fat free ground turkey
- 2-1 lb. packages of frozen spinach
- 2-1 lb. packages of frozen kale
- 4- 1/2 lb. frozen peas and carrots
- Add 2- bags of Broccoli Slaw
- 10 lbs. of organic russet potatoes
Easy Preparation Directions for Dog Food
- Cook ground turkey in a pan
- Add 1/2 of all frozen vegetables and broccoli slaw in a large pot and mix up with 1/2 of the turkey meat you have just cooked
- I scoop it out in sandwich sized freezer bags with a half cup plastic measuring cup
- I add a small to medium potato to each bag
- I fill each bag by eye
- You need to judge how much your dog should eat
- My dog weighs 50 pounds
- So, I feed him three times a day
- Freeze the bags
- I feed him at 6 AM, 12 noon and 3 PM
- It saved his life
- He is an old dog and he really looks younger now
- Get away from store-bought kibble and treats unless all the right ingredients are there
- Dogs and cats don’t need as much protein as they say they do. And, it’s not 30%. Especially, for older pets. More like below 10%. Similar to human protein needs
- You can give your dog in between meal treats such as a banana and cantaloupe, even apples
Benefits of preparing your own dog food
- You know what’s in it when you make it yourself
- It takes me half an hour to scoop it in the bags each week
- Your pet will thank you by being happier, losing unwanted weight and living longer
The Results speak for itself
My pet’s health has markedly improved and he’s trimmed down. Although, chicken was the first ingredient in my dog’s old brand dry kibble; brown rice, barley and oats were the second, third and fourth ingredient.
‘Don’t believe everything you hear about how to feed your dog from manufacturers. They are in the business of selling animal food. Think for yourself, do your own research, and verify everything by how your pet looks, seems to feel and behaves so you know if what you are doing is beneficial or harmful’ ~ your author
Go to homemade cat food, here.
Note- Sorry, but I can’t guarantee health, weight loss or longevity results from changing your dog’s diet. If you have doubts, contact your vet