I know homemade dog food is not the main theme of WeightLossBlogging.Com, but I just had to talk about it because I love my dog. Just like humans, canines need to eat what they evolved to eat or they don’t do so well health wise.
Dogs are omnivores, which means they will eat fruits and vegetables mixed in their meat. If you love your dog as much as I do, you will want to do all you can to keep him healthy and happy. If he is not sick, he will be happy and if he isn’t overweight he likely will stay healthy. Just like me, the way I have found to keep his weight down is through diet.
Since Dogs are Omnivorous; in the wild this means they eat what’s available. But, dogs aren’t meant to eat grains like corn, wheat or soy.
I have studied dog food ingredients and I don’t think most manufacturers know which ingredients are good or bad for dogs. They don’t even know that rice and potatoes are grains! Some dog food manufacturers put these as a number two ingredient in their so-called ‘no grain’ dog and cat food.
As well as our human doctors, Veterinarians haven’t been trained in nutrition for their patients…
Here’s what I feed my Dog, Bubba…
- I cook two packages of 3 lbs. (6 pounds total meat at a time) 85% lean 15% fat Ground Turkey
- Add a 1 lb. package of cooked Kale and Spinach
- Boil about 10 medium size Sweet Potatoes
- Boil 2 bags of Broccoli Slaw
Easy Preparation Directions for Dog Food
- Cook Turkey and set aside to cool
- Bring to a boil frozen vegetables and Broccoli slaw for about ten minutes (do not over cook)
- Cool them under running water in Colander
- Cut up and boil Sweet Potatoes until soft (about twenty minutes)
- Mash them
- Mix everything together after everything cools
- Scoop it in quart sized freezer bags with a plastic measuring cup
- Put six generous scoops in each bag
- Freeze the bags
- This makes enough for about five days
- Thaw it in water in sink and squeeze half out into their bowl each meal
- I feed my dog twice a day which is six to seven cups of homemade dog food (he weighs about 70 lbs.)
- Add a few tablespoons of Yogurt to bowl before feeding
- Crack a raw Egg on top
- Add 1 capsule Glucosamine each meal if your dog is a Senior like my Bubba
- That’s it! (you will have to scale down even increase the portions you feed depending upon your pet’s breed, weight, age and health. Same goes for the Glucosamine you add to its food. Puppies don’t need it)
- I add 1/2 a cup of ‘Evolve Grain Free Turkey, Garbanzo beans and Peas Recipe Dog Food’ in each one of my two dog’s daily meals. The ingredients in this brand is decent enough and they sell this at ‘Stater Bros Market’. The number one and two ingredients are Turkey and Chicken meal respectively.
- I only give treats that are all meat and no other additives like wheat, soy and corn
Benefits of preparing your own dog food
- Feed your old dog a simpler diet with fewer ingredients and lower protein
- He doesn’t need starch
- The way to do this is to make their food your self
- It takes about an hour to do each week
- Your pet will thank you by being happier, losing unwanted weight and living longer
The Results speaks for itself
My pet’s health has markedly improved and he’s trimmed down. Although, Chicken was the first ingredient in my dog’s old brand dry kibble; Brown Rice, Barley and Oats were the second, third and fourth ingredient! What!
Why on earth would my dog or any dog need to eat that! It’s filler! Cows, Horses and Pigs eat it. It’s OK for them, but not the best for a dog. You have to diligently read all the ingredients just like you have to for us humans to know what’s in the stuff you are eating. The first five ingredients are the main ingredients. They tell the story. You want meat to be at least the first two or three.
Don’t believe everything you hear about how to feed your dog from manufacturers. They are in the business of selling animal food. Furthermore, don’t feed them raw meat or organs. I think it’s more harmful than it is good for them. Think for yourself, do your own research, and verify everything by how your pet looks, seems to feel and behaves so you know if what you are doing is beneficial…
I know I’ve saved my dog and cat’s life increasing their time here on earth. I can look into their eyes and see new life. They love their food, and I know I have done the best I can to keep my pets healthy lengthening their lives. I really love my animals and need them around me everyday for my own happiness! Go to homemade cat food, here.
*note – Sorry, but I can’t guarantee health, weight loss or longevity results from changing your dog’s diet.