I know homemade dog food is not the main theme of WeightLossBlogging.Com, but I just had to talk about it because I love my dog. Just like humans, canines need to eat what they evolved to eat or they don’t do so well health wise.
Dogs are omnivores, which means they will eat fruits and vegetables mixed in their meat. If you love your dog as much as I do, you will want to do all you can to keep him healthy and happy. If he is not sick, he will be happy and if he isn’t overweight he likely will stay healthy. Just like me, the way I have found to keep his weight down and health up is through diet.
Since Dogs are Omnivorous; in the wild this means they eat what’s available. But, dogs aren’t meant to eat grains like corn, wheat or soy.
I have studied dog food ingredients and I don’t think most manufacturers know which ingredients are good or bad for dogs. They don’t even know that rice is a grain! Many dog food manufacturers add rice in their so-called ‘no grain’ dog and cat food.
As well as our human doctors, Veterinarians haven’t been trained in nutrition for their patients…
Here’s what I feed my Dog, Bubba…
- I cook 2- 3 pound packages ground turkey
- This I cook in the crock pot overnight
- Add 2- 1 lb. packages each frozen Kale and Spinach not boiled (4 pounds total)
- Add 2 bags of Broccoli Slaw
- Fill pot with water but do not boil
- Bring the frozen vegetables and broccoli slaw up to room temperature or warm, but not too hot
- I bake about 17 medium size Sweet Potatoes or about 20 pounds
Easy Preparation Directions for Dog Food
- Cook ground turkey overnight in crock pot
- Warm frozen vegetables and Broccoli slaw in pot with water
- Rinse under running water in Colander
- Bake Sweet Potatoes until soft (this takes me about 3 hours @ 375 degrees)
- Let them cool off for about half an hour because they’ll burn your hands
- Scoop out from skin, then mash them
- Mix everything including turkey together with water
- I do about half a batch at a time
- To make it easier, stir in water in a huge pot to make it more liquid like a mashed potato consistency and mix up
- I scoop it out in sandwich sized freezer bags with a half cup plastic measuring cup
- I measure two cups in each bag for my large dog. You may use less or possibly more according to his or her weight
- My dog eats three times a day
- I feed him at 6 AM, 12 noon and 3 PM
- Freeze the bags
- This makes enough for about five or six days
- I take three out a day and thaw out on counter top
- I don’t feed my dog any grain like rice
- I feed my dog 3 times a day which is six to seven cups of homemade dog food (he weighs about 50 lbs. now since he’s trimmed down from over 70 pounds)
- It saved his life
- He is an old dog and he really looks younger now
- But, his rear legs are kind of weak and he suffers from incontinence
- I made a disposable diaper for him because he leaks
- That’s it! (you will have to scale down even increase the portions you feed depending upon your pet’s breed, weight, age and health
- I only give treats that are all meat and no other additives like wheat, soy and corn
- Get away from store-bought kibble and treats unless all the right ingredients are there
- Dogs and cats don’t need as much protein as they say they do
- I give my dog in between meal treats such as a banana and cantaloupe
Benefits of preparing your own dog food
- Feed your old dog a simpler diet with fewer ingredients and lower protein
- He doesn’t need starch, but he does need the fiber
- You know what’s in it when you make it yourself
- It takes me about an hour to scoop it in the bags after cooking everything each week
- Your pet will thank you by being happier, losing unwanted weight and living longer
The Results speaks for itself
My pet’s health has markedly improved and he’s trimmed down. Although, Chicken was the first ingredient in my dog’s old brand dry kibble; Brown Rice, Barley and Oats were the second, third and fourth ingredient! What!
Why on earth would my dog or any dog need to eat that! It’s filler! Cows, Horses and Pigs eat it. It’s OK for them, but not the best for a dog. You have to diligently read all the ingredients just like you have to for us humans to know what’s in the stuff you are eating. The first five ingredients are the main ingredients. They tell the story. You want meat to be at least the first two or three.
Don’t believe everything you hear about how to feed your dog from manufacturers. They are in the business of selling animal food. Furthermore, don’t feed them raw meat or organs. I think it’s more harmful than it is good for them. Think for yourself, do your own research, and verify everything by how your pet looks, seems to feel and behaves so you know if what you are doing is beneficial or harmful…
I know I’ve saved my dog and cat’s life increasing their time here on earth. I can look into their eyes and see new life. They love their food, and I know I have done the best I can to keep my pets healthy lengthening their lives. I really love my animals and need them around me everyday for my own happiness! Go to homemade cat food, here.
I stopped feeding him chicken because I felt it was unhealthy. Did you know that eating chicken is associated with bladder infections in humans? I felt there was a connection between him eating chicken and his incontinence.
Note- Sorry, but I can’t guarantee health, weight loss or longevity results from changing your dog’s diet.