I love vegetable soup. It doesn’t take long to make and you can add almost every vegetable known to man in it. You make it with the vegetables you like most. If you don’t, you won’t eat it. Here’s what I like to add to mine. My version is a vegetable lovers heaven!
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups of chopped cabbage
- 1 cup of pinto beans
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium potato diced
- Add 1 cup of brown rice in place of potato (you might not want to add rice or potato, even beans
- I don’t add corn because of its gluten
- 1 cup of green beans
- 1 chopped zucchini
- 1 cup frozen kale
- 1 cup of frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms
- 1’2 cup of frozen or canned peas (peas have lectins, so you might not want to add them)
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes or cut up tomato (nightshade variety)
- 2 – 32oz. cartons of low salt vegetable stock (or plain old water)
- 1/4 teaspoon or more of Italian spice
- Add cumin, paprika and red chili powder, parsley, black pepper, and garlic powder (to taste)
- Use a 4 – 6 Qt. Pot
- Bring everything to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for a half an hour to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender
- The dinner bell now rings. Eat!
Add different vegetables of your choice: more or less. I tend to overdo it. You don’t have to put as many in or the same ones as I do. This goes for spices, too. Add them to your preferred taste.
Wait until the end to add any salt. Taste as you go, but when vegetables are tender or soft, it’s time to eat. You can also sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top. Just like a little corn starch doesn’t hurt to thicken the soup up, a shake or two of parmesan or Romano cheese won’t kill you.
I use my Cuisinart® to do all the slicing and dicing. It’s a great kitchen tool I wouldn’t want to do without. Best present for father’s day I ever got! I was always the cook in the family, but no one but me likes soup! They are missing out! If you used water for the stock, you might need to add salt. Wait until it’s almost finished because as the soup reduces it gets saltier.
Note- consult your doctor before you change your diet.