Since I eat only plant based whole food, I want to be sure I consume the most nutritious vegetables possible in my salads. I changed from eating a basic green salad with butter lettuce because I began to feel I wasn’t getting enough nutrition. So, I started adding different ingredients.
I tend to enjoy tart dressings like balsamic vinegar; especially over cabbage, cucumbers and onions. I thought that red cabbage, cucumber, quinoa and onion salad with balsamic dressing would just about cover all the vitamin and mineral bases.
I felt better with a heartier salad. It was my appetite and nutrition solution, as I hope will soon be yours, too. Remember, you might want to eat cabbage for its cancer fighting properties [1 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]!
Salads are really easy and fast to make. That’s what I like: simple and quick! Here’s what I put in it…
Red cabbage, cucumber, quinoa and onion salad with balsamic dressing…
- Chop up a cup of red cabbage
- 1/4 cup of white onion diced
- Half a medium cucumber cut up
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper
- Pinch of cilantro (optional)
- A pinch of alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 a stalk of celery chopped
- 1/4 cup of garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup quinoa, millet or brown rice poured over top
- Hand sprinkle roasted sesame seeds
- Cracked pepper and garlic
- Himalayan pink salt
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar to your liking
- Optional items of choice are corn, tablespoon of sauerkraut, roasted seaweed, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, pepperoncini, and black and green olives
You might think me a bit ‘whacko or extreme’, but I like to put ‘all’ the optional ingredients on every time I eat this hearty salad. These are about my favorite ‘add-ons’ as far as flavor goes.
You might want to add corn in this salad or maybe brown rice, instead of quinoa. That’s OK. Salads can be original and unique. Make it yours. But, don’t add oil. It will ruin a healthy salad to pieces!
I also like my ‘baked potato butter lettuce salad’, in which I break a potato all over the top of butter lettuce.
I have always loved eating my salads. This one here, is a potato lover’s delight! Yahoo! Don’t forget the balsamic vinegar!
1 URL ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1567139/
Website Title Environmental Health Perspectives
Publication Month May
Publication Year 1994
Date Accessed February 07, 2018
Note- contact your doctor before you change your diet.