I don’t know about you, but I just love cabbage. On the other hand, my wife hates it, so it’s hard to cook for her, as I am the self-appointed chef around the house.
As I write, I have finished eating these cabbage rolls. I was the Guinea pig! So now, I think they’re good enough to share with you.
I am no longer eating refined grains (even gluten free. Why?) like rice or tortillas, so wrapping something up and cooking it takes a little ingenuity. But, there’s always a healthy alternative way to do things once you put your mind to it.
For example, this meal is kind of a cabbage wrap Chinese burrito. Well, maybe not, but I like it. I hope you will, too. This meal is really filling! There should be enough cabbage rolls for two people or one hungry guy. Smells like Chinese cuisine to me.
Here’s the ingredients…
- 4 large cabbage leaves
- 1/2 a medium onion
- 1/2 a medium-sized potato (optional)
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1/2 cup of carrot shreds
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (or, tahini)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Good shake of black pepper
- 1 small can of Italian tomato sauce
- Couple shakes of your favorite brand hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- a teaspoon of sesame seeds
- Handful of cashews
- Preparation with cooking takes about a half an hour complete
- Finely chop up your mushrooms, onion, shred carrot in strips with potato peeler, spoon peanut butter on top, (don’t worry, it will blend right in when it heats up) add your sesame seeds, cashews, black pepper, garlic powder, pepper, chili powder, soy sauce and apple cider vinegar.
- Cook on medium heat stirring mixture occasionally for about ten to fifteen minutes until done
- Then, set it aside
- Peanut butter will tend to make everything hold or bond together
- In the meantime, you are boiling your 4 cabbage leaves you’ve peeled off from a large head until they are soft, but not completely cooked (about 5 minutes until tender in a rolling boil)
- Take each out with tongs and set on towel to drain and dry somewhat
- Spoon in your mixture into a leaf on your cutting board after you cut the biggest part of the cabbage spline out
- Now, fold each one up
- Place them in your steamer and cook for about ten minutes or until cabbage leaves are done
- Remove each one carefully with your spatula so they don’t tear open
- Pour Italian sauce on your serving plate making four circles
- Put each cabbage roll on that spot and drizzle more Italian sauce on top