You need to know without a doubt which foods cause you harm and don’t. I have tested foods over and over so that there is no speck of doubt left as to whether they are bad for me or not. It’s worthwhile because you don’t want to limit your menu if you don’t have to! No one wants to eliminate his favorite foods and go hungry!
One example I can give is pancakes. I love pancakes, but the ready made ones have ingredients that cause me harm. Again, you always have to read the ingredients when you buy foods that have been processed or refined. You simply can’t take anything for granted. Food companies are in the business for the money, not your health. We are in charge of that.
‘A healthy eating plan: Emphasizes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products [1 nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/eat/calories.htm]’.
In regards to the pancakes, I always got signs of inflammation the next day. I wondered why. So, I read the ingredients and found there were two ‘culprits’ which caused me inflammation. One was corn syrup which is high fructose corn syrup and the other was palm oil. There’s also sugar, dextrose, milk powder and wheat gluten.
I know for certain that palm oil causes me and others joint and muscle pain. I discovered this the hard way when I ate a bag of microwave popcorn saturated with palm oil. It sure tasted good! But, I was in pain for weeks suffering and limping around the house. It was a painful bout. This proves not all food that qualifies as so called ‘vegetarian’ is healthful.
Truthfully, I love all the bad food just like everyone else. But, do we want to be healthy and feel better? I have learned the hard way that I can’t eat it anymore. But, I do on occasion, and always suffer afterwards (holidays, birthdays, etc..) Unfortunately, what foods we were raised on that taste good aren’t necessarily good for us. Therefore, for best health we must ‘try’ to eat mostly plant based whole food. It will cause us to lose weight and maintain it, feel better and likely live a lot longer life keeping us out of the doctor’s office and hospital…
Foods which are known to trigger inflammation in your body…
- Sugar is in just about everything it seems, like the obvious soda pop, candy and especially hidden in processed foods
- Saturated fats are in foods like pizza, meat, dairy, Italian pasta meals and refined grain deserts like cookies, pies and cakes
- Trans fats are in fried foods like doughnuts, French fries, crackers, margarine and fried chicken
- Omega 6 fatty acids are in oils you cook with like corn and vegetable and salad dressings
- Refined carbs as in the higher glycemic foods like white bread, white potatoes and white rice
- MSG is in some soups, Asian dishes and prepared foods
- Gluten is added to things like ‘pancake mix’, and is in wheat, barley and rye. Don’t forget that the other grains have their own form of gluten which have their own names
- Casein is in milk products which some people have allergic reactions to
- Aspartame is an artificial sweetener
- Alcohol, especially the grain based beer and whiskey. An occasional glass of wine might not hurt
- Coffee, for me was a trigger for inflammation
- I drink Japanese green tea, instead
- Solution: eat mostly a plant based whole food diet. Don’t eat out. Make all your food from scratch. This is actually the only way you can know for sure what’s in the food you put in your body…
Source- 1 URL nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/eat/calories.htm
Website Title National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
Article Title Healthy Eating Plan
Date Accessed October 21, 2018
Note- before you change your diet contact your doctor.