I am always looking for new recipes. However, I am still experimenting with soy products like soy milk and soy crumbles. But, I love Mexican food minus the lard, other oils and cheese…
I bought a carton of cashew milk the other day. I heard they make oat milk, so I want to try that out, too.
I use soy crumbles in the place of meat and soy milk in place of dairy. I have heard pros and cons about refined soy. But, I have to see for myself.
Humans have been eating soy beans for almost 5000 years. The soybean is high in protein. The quality of protein from soy equals that of protein from animal foods [1 medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007204.htm]’.
I make a taco salad for my wife (she still eats some animal products)
- Chop up iceberg lettuce
- I heat her shell in the oven @ 350 for about ten minutes
- I cook crumbled turkey and add packaged taco seasoning
- Build up a bed of lettuce in her taco salad shell
- Add turkey with a rice base
- Add chopped onions
- Add shredded Mexican cheese
- She likes a dollop of sour cream
- I add multi-colored Fresh Gourmet® tortilla strips
- She usually only eats half of it and eats the rest later as a snack
Soy in your diet can lower cholesterol. Many research studies support this claim. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) agrees that 25 grams per day of soy protein may reduce the risk of heart disease. Health benefits of soy products may be due to their high levels of polyunsaturated fats, fiber, minerals, vitamins, and low saturated fat content [2 medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007204.htm]’.
My meatless bean tacos
- I add my beans on the bottom of each taco
- I have been adding crumbled soy (Boca® or Morning Star Farms®) to my beans and brown rice which I heat up together before I spoon it in each taco
- Heat in microwave 30 to 60 seconds depending upon how many
- Test the shell because each microwave oven is different. You don’t want to burn them. Nothing worse when you are hungry and ruin all the shells!
- I heat about three at a time which takes about a minute to a minute and a half
- I really ‘pig out’ on these eating about six
- Add salsa to each taco
- Add your lettuce
- I personally don’t use any animal products
- I am still trying to convince my wife life is better without them. All I can do is be subtle about it and set a good example…
Obviously, I like simple and quick. These recipes are pretty much self explanatory. You can buy any hard taco shells and taco salad shell.
Source- 1 and 2 URL medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007204.htm
Website Title Medline Plus
Article Title Soy: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Date Accessed November 18, 2018
Note- before you change your diet consult your doctor.