Before you become a vegetarian or vegan and begin eating plant-based whole food, you should know the ‘reasons’ you are doing it. Although, we can have good intentions, knowing why we do what we do is essential to success in anything in life.
‘A growing body of scientific evidence indicates that wholesome vegetarian diets offer distinct advantages compared to diets containing meat and other foods of animal origin. The benefits arise from lower intakes of saturated fat, cholesterol and animal protein as well as higher intakes of complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, magnesium, folic acid, vitamin C and E, carotenoids and other phytochemicals. Since vegetarians consume widely divergent diets, a differentiation between various types of vegetarian diets is necessary [1 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15702597/]’.
Learning what plant based whole food is and is not…
- There is actually a distinction between being a ‘vegetarian or vegan’ and eating only plant-based whole food
- Soft drinks and a bag of chips qualifies as vegetarian or vegan
- We don’t want that for optimum health, weight loss and longevity
- So, on a plant-based whole food diet, you eat real food, not snacks and junk foods or anything processed and refined
- We will now eat the ‘right’ carbohydrate diet, low in fat and protein
- Why? Bad unhealthy foods have way too much protein, wrong carbs, fat, salt and sugar
- They call this the standard American diet we all ‘love’
- For example, you no longer eat refined grain in bread, tortillas, crackers, cookies etc. and sugars in fruit drinks, honey, molasses and maple syrup
- You also don’t use or cook with oil
- And, you will discontinue eating animal products like meat, dairy and eggs because of the bad cholesterol and other harmful additives, substances and ingredients
- You limit seeds, nuts and avocados because they have lots of fat
- You use spices and condiments like soy sauce, salsa and brown mustard, Himalayan salt but not a lot, only a little sugar if you must, eat potatoes, beans and lentils, onions, mushrooms, green salads, brown rice, small amount of soy products, fruits like blackberries and strawberries and vegetables cooked, steamed and raw, also drinking your daily green smoothie
- It also means you don’t eat out making your own food from now on, because there will usually always be that ‘chef’ preparing your food who won’t understand not to add oil, salt and sugar to your meal
- In other words, the only way to know for sure what’s in your food is to make it yourself
- But, if you just have to go out to eat, try a restaurant with a diverse salad bar
- This way, you will know for sure what you are eating and what’s in it, except for salad dressings
- Therefore, why not bring your own with you? Salad dressing recipes, here
One goal worthy of attainment besides improved health, is losing weight without having to limit portions or servings of foods we eat. Imagine this, when eating plant based whole food, you eat all you want of your favorite foods while excluding others. You always feel full and satisfied after meals. Your new recipes, here.
Source- 1 URL ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15702597
Website Title Current neurology and neuroscience reports.
Article Title Vegetarian diets: what are the advantages?
Date Accessed February 19, 2019
Note- before you change your diet consult your doctor.