I am always looking for new recipes. I am OK with the way I do eat, but it’s nice to have something new once in a while. Tacos are one of my ‘all time’ favorites. But, I don’t use crumbled soy anymore as a substitute for meat. So, now I have decided to use tofu.
Tofu seems to take on flavors of what you add to it, as it really has no flavor of its own. This is OK with me, because I use taco flavoring when I cook it.
‘Soy provides a complete source of dietary protein, meaning that, unlike most plant proteins, it contains all the essential amino acids [1 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/]’.
How I make my Spicy Vegetarian Tofu Tacos Recipe…
- Dice up tofu into ½ inch cubes
- I don’t use processed soy anymore because I found it not to be ‘healthful’
- Add partial pack of any brand taco seasoning mix (1/4 to 1/2 bag depending upon how much tofu you cube up)
- Or, if you prefer, you could add a dash of cumin, chili and garlic powder with a shake or two of Cholula Mexican hot sauce
- Cook in a frying pan on medium heat turn occasionally for about 10 minutes until it ‘browns’
- Shred one cup of cabbage finely
- Dice half an onion
- Use a hard taco shell or tortilla (or, a romaine lettuce leaf like I do)
- Add your tofu and top with cabbage, onion and salsa of your choice
- Healthy, trim, Okinawan people who live long eat tofu
- Naturally made tofu is tried and true having been around for at least two thousand years
I don’t use corn or wheat taco shells or tortillas anymore because I don’t eat any grain except for California grown brown basmati rice. I finally discovered I have a sensitivity to all grain.
Also, most tortillas and shells have the bad oil in them which will cause inflammation. You might want to do a ‘test’ using a lettuce leaf like I do for your tacos and see how you feel without taco shells and tortillas.
Source- 1 URL ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/
Access Day 7
Access Month march
Access Year 2019
Article Title The Science of Soy: What Do We … – PubMed Central (PMC)
Note- before you change your diet consult your doctor.