I forgot about the veggie shish kabob I used to BBQ. I also used to make a portabella mushroom burger. Each is superb and fun to cook outdoors! But, I used to make veggie burgers from processed soy patties too, but no longer do this.
Yes, they tasted good, but they aren’t the best thing for your body. Processed soy has some things in it you don’t want, including too much fat. Go for sprouted tofu, instead. But, don’t eat a lot of it. Yet, I don’t think tofu BBQ’s that good, kind of like BBQing beans. Ha! They tend to fall through the grille.
Anyway, here’s what I do. I use those throw away bamboo sqewers. I cut up my red onion, whole mushrooms, red and green bell peppers and of course, fresh pineapple…
- Rinse off your mushrooms
- Cut your red onions into square slices
- Do the same to your bell peppers and pineapple
- I cut up fresh pineapple, but canned will do just fine
- Line them up like the photo, close the lid and cook on low to medium flame
- Baste each with teriyaki, soy sauce or spice of your choice like garlic powder and pepper
- Turn each over in about ten minutes with your tongs until toasty
My wife wants chicken on hers, but I don’t do it for me. I am still trying to convince her to go vegetarian all the way. But, she is taking baby steps toward that goal little by little. At least for now, she doesn’t eat nearly as much meat and animal products as she used to. I am really proud of her for not eating eggs, anymore!
I feel this is a fairly healthy treat to eat. I find it fun to make. And, it doesn’t take too long to cook. I have no regrets turning vegetarian, and I know it saved my bacon! All I have to do is remember to take my B12 pills. How hard can that be?
Note- consult your doctor before you change your diet.