I really like asparagus, so I am passing this recipe on. It’s really simple and takes about fifteen minutes to make depending upon how narrow or thick the asparagus spears are.
Here’s how I do it…
- Buy a bundle or 1 lb. of asparagus and rinse it off under tap water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes
- Cut it to length and discard bulky part
- I found that thinner stalks are best
- Make sure you have baking or parchment paper
- I don’t use aluminum cans or foil (Alzheimer’s)
- Roll your sheet out on a baking pan
- Line all your asparagus stalks up on paper
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil
- Lightly garlic salt it
- Add cracked pepper
- Bake for about 15 minutes, but pull out a piece with tongs to test
- Cook not too firm and not too soft
- Toss it on the paper to mix olive oil with it
- Before you eat it, squeeze lemon over it on your plate
- I got this recipe from my wife’s daughter (wonderful girl!)
- I ate this asparagus with fried potatoes, onions and mushrooms and it’s one of the most delicious dinners I have ever eaten!
You can eat simple, but eat delicious food. I never starve. I ate all of the asparagus myself and didn’t have to share it. My wife hates it! But, I’ll honestly tell you, that the garlic salt, cracked pepper and olive oil really makes this dish amazing!
And, I know I haven’t said good things about olive oil, but you just have to use it at your own risk. Just don’t overdo it. For example, if you use it on a salad, I would say it’s OK. Why? Because it makes you eat more greens.
But, you don’t need much olive oil. Here’s what I do… I spoon a teaspoon on my salad and pour a little balsamic vinegar on and salt and pepper it. I toss it with my fork and a spoon.
In conclusion, you actually don’t need to put much olive oil or balsamic vinegar on your salad (or baked asparagus and anything else…) as long as you toss whatever you drizzle it on adequately. But, the taste olive oil adds to your dish is absolutely over the hill and into the next valley!
Note- consult your doctor before you change your diet.