I have always loved popcorn. And, yes it (corn) is on my no eat list. But, it’s usually once a week I do so. No one is perfect, especially, this guy. But, I found another way to make it delicious. This recipe might sound a little strange, but ‘don’t knock it’ until you’ve tried it.
I used to use butter. Then, I started using corn oil to pop the corn in a pot. Each tastes delicious. But, for some reason I started thinking using extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) was healthier or at least ‘neutral’ in its effects on the body.
If you are going to eat something bad for you, why not choose the least harmful? I do love butter and corn oil, but don’t use these anymore. And, if you happen to already like olive oil, you will probably like it on your popcorn. That is, if you do like popcorn at all.
‘So far, I’ve heard EVOO is healthy for you. I still am not positive about that, because I have read research that says otherwise. But, in the meantime, as far as I know, it is at least neutral on your system if you happen to eat mostly plant based whole food’ ~ your author
This is a recipe for popcorn I made up recently and wanted to share it with you. My wife loves it, because with the oil drizzled on top, the salt ‘sticks’ to the popcorn. I use a smaller wet kitchen towel I carry around with me because your hands get greasy.
How I make my popcorn…
- Add a 1/2 a cup of kernels in a brown paper lunch bag
- Pop for 3 minutes (microwaves vary, so when the popping slows down to one pop every couple seconds you’re done. Be careful not to burn it)
- Get a big bowl and pour it in
- Drizzle EVOO on it in the amount you like and mix it up
- Salt it to taste
- You’re ready to eat
- Beware of hidden kernels so you don’t break any teeth! You could pick them out before you drizzle your olive oil on to be safe. But, be careful with your fingers because the corn kernels will be very hot!
I was buying the no name ‘cheap’ un-popped popcorn kernels in a plastic bag, but found it didn’t pop as large and left many un-popped kernels. I used to use OrvilleⓇ, but went to the cheaper brands to save money. But, when it comes to a snack and you’ve got that craving for popcorn, live a little and spend the money. It’s on my next InstacartⓇ shopping list.
Note- before you change your diet consult your doctor.