I used to smoke cigarettes in a stressful time. I didn’t do it for more than a year or two, if my memory serves me correctly. For me, it was vastly more addictive than drinking alcohol. Drinking was no problem for me to stop, but cigarettes grabbed me by my lungs and wouldn’t let go of its grip!
‘Yes, There Is Life Without Cigarettes… And, it does get better’
I quickly grew into a ‘chain smoker’, reaching it seemed two packs a day in no time. But, it was never fulfilling. One led to another, and only the first puff was satisfying. I tried lower nicotine cigarettes, Benson and Hedges Ultra Lights®.
Don’t ask me how I stumbled upon that brand, but I think my father smoked them. It was a fidgety type of habit that never quite satisfied. You’d get heckled smoking in public quite a lot, and let’s face it, cigarette smoke doesn’t actually smell like roses!
‘How addictive are cigarettes? What the research is saying… [1 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1859920/]’.
So, how did I quit?
- It wasn’t easy
- But, I knew I had to
- So, I tried and tried again
- What finally ‘worked’ was when I ‘made up my mind’ to quit
- And, then I kept trying
- Sometimes I smoked what was left of my last cigarette butt (Yuk!)
- I got disgusted with this filthy habit and would crumple up and throw away my pack of cigarettes in the trash only to end up later trying to piece them together
- If I couldn’t, it was off to the corner liquor store almost begging for another pack and gladly paying the over inflated price
- Smoking gave me a persistent cough that wouldn’t go away
- My heart would skip a beat that hurt
- Then, I knew my body was rebelling telling me I had to quit smoking very soon or it would give me a fatal heart attack!
‘When you drink alcohol you will likely smoke more cigarettes. They both seem to go hand in hand…’
Source- 1 JD;, Henningfield JE;Cohen C;Slade. “Is Nicotine More Addictive Than Cocaine?” British Journal of Addiction, U.S. National Library of Medicine, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1859920/.
Note- before you change your diet consult your doctor. Furthermore, if you are having trouble stopping smoking, your doctor can prescribe medication known to help ease the transition.