I still wrestle with my former food addictions. But, I test. This means going back to some of my old food favorites. The longer you don’t eat them, you find the old food never tastes as good as you remember. Here’s some examples of foods I adored I knew I had to give up because it causes me painful inflammation that lasts for weeks…
This list of bad food temptations is not all inclusive (bad stuff in parenthesis…)
- Toasted and buttered sourdough bread (gluten and dairy)
- Cashews, peanuts and peanut butter (lectin atomic bombs)
- Soy sauce (lectin atomic bomb)
- Veggie burgers (unhealthy ingredients)
- Buttered popcorn (gluten and dairy. Yes, corn has its own gluten called ‘Zein‘)
- Jack and coke (alcohol made from grain, and fructose in soda)
- Pistachios (lectins)
- Chocolate (fructose, oil)
- Spaghetti (wheat)
- Pizza (wheat, dairy, yeast)
- Hamburgers and fried (animal products, hydrogenated oil)
- Pancakes (wheat)
- Eggs (animal)
- Cheese (dairy)
- Milk and cookies (dairy, wheat, fructose)
- Chips (oil, salt)
How do we cope without all our favorite junk and snack foods? Personally, I still grapple with bad food temptation all the time. But, the main thing one needs to do is not go hungry. And, especially when you go to the store for food, make sure you eat before you go or your stomach will take over your mind.
Honestly, I have to tell you what has saved me every time. It’s that I eat potatoes, beans and rice. When I have these long lasting carbs (resistant starch) in my system, I especially don’t crave sweets like honey, maple syrup and agave (which I have given up.) I do have a cup of organic coffee a day and use xylitol as sweetener.
When you are starving for carbohydrates, you have an uncontrollable monstrous appetite that takes over. Look out people who stand in your way! I found the go around to bad food temptation is having substitutes to eat that are actually a lot healthier.
Tips for snacks and meals…
- Hummus with celery (snack)
- Baked or fried oil-less potatoes (all meals)
- Vegetable soup (lunch, dinner and anytime you come into the kitchen hungry have another bowl)
- Fresh Pineapple (cures sweet tooth)
- Rice with almond milk and blanched slivered almonds (evening)
Note- consult your doctor before you change your diet.