In the past, It seems I’ve spent a small fortune on a million so-called ‘healthy salad dressing recipes’ at my grocery store that tasted terrible. These were all the no-fat or low-fat and low or no-sugar dressings you may have tried yourself.
Soon, they went in the trash: a big waste of money. I have been on the lookout for a decent tasting healthy salad dressing it seems like forever. Unfortunately, I never found my ‘ultimate’ salad dressing until I decided to take matters into my own hands.
I eventually learned refined oil causes ‘inflammation’. I used to use vinegar and oil. Many pour olive oil on their salads because they have heard a million and one times it is healthy. I am sorry, but it is not. Not even olives are, because they also have olive oil in them.
I discovered through my own research refined oil, no matter what it’s made from is not healthy at all. It doesn’t matter if it’s saturated or unsaturated. All of it is no good for your cardiovascular system. It causes injury to the interior lining (Endothelium) of your veins and arteries. This is especially true for ‘olive, soybean and palm oils’ [1 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov].
My basic balsamic or apple cider vinegar dressing…
- I make more every couple of days
- Store in a small Tupperware container
- Squeeze half a lemon
- Add equal amount of water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of balsamic or apple cider vinegar (I also add seasoned rice vinegar for the sweetness)
- 1/8 or shake of teaspoon of Italian spice
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered garlic or 1/8 of clove
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- Shake of paprika
- Pinch of parsley
- Shake it up vigorously
- Taste it first, and add water to thin it out
- I spoon about a tablespoon over my salad shaking it up in a Tupperware container
- You might want to avoid all sauces and store bought dressings. Too much sugar, salt and oil
My wonderful tahini dressing
- Two heaping tablespoons of ‘tahini sauce’ (ground sesame seeds)
- Shake of powdered garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Squeeze some lemon in
- Tablespoon of balsamic or apple cider vinegar (I add seasoned rice vinegar too for sweetness)
- A pinch of parsley and basil
- Add about a tablespoon of water
- Stir with fork until well blended
- Spoon on your salad
I knew it was up to me to create my own tasty and healthy salad dressing. I still love a good homemade ranch dressing, (there is dairy and mayonnaise in it) but like other foods (we all love like pizza and burgers) they are completely out of the question as far as my diet goes.
1 URL ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=17174226
Website Title Nutrition, metabolism, and cardiovascular diseases : NMCD.
Publication Month January
Article Title Olive, soybean and palm oils intake have a similar acute detrimental effect over the endothelial function in healthy young subjects.
Date Accessed January 09, 2018
Note- before you change your diet contact your doctor.